The Psychology Department is committed to excellence in teaching and research that benefits the people of North Carolina.
We share a vision to:
- Establish and maintain a learning environment that encourages, recognizes, and rewards the full variety of contributions by staff, students and faculty.
- Provide excellent undergraduate and graduate programs.
- Develop, transfer and apply psychological knowledge for the benefit of society and the profession.
We strive to enhance and disseminate an understanding of the science of psychology, while also contributing to the overall service function of a land-grant university.
- Our primary instructional emphasis is to provide psychology undergraduate and graduate students with a strong foundation in psychological principles, enabling them to advance the discipline of psychology and address the needs of society. We also provide an educational foundation for students who will apply psychological principles to other disciplines and activities.
- Our research activities include efforts to discover and disseminate psychological knowledge and theories, enhance the profession, and develop new technologies and solutions to practical problems. Our department strives to maintain a balance among all these research activities.
- We recognize the value of applying faculty and student research and scholarship to address the needs of the larger community as well as the university. Where appropriate, we integrate these outreach activities into our teaching and scholarship.