Wellness Coaching at NC State

This story was written by Lily Palmer, a Department of Psychology Peer Ambassador who is double majoring in psychology and criminology.

Wellness and Recreation’s Thrivewell team proudly offers four free sessions of wellness coaching every semester for NC State students. Conducted by certified ACE® Health Coaches, who are also students themselves, this peer-to-peer wellness support can help students develop action plans for leading healthy lives.

What does a typical wellness coaching session look like for students? After booking their first appointment through the Wellness and Recreation website, they will receive an email and calendar invite from their coach, greeting and preparing them for their session. On the day of, the coach gets to know the student, their current lifestyle, and what they want their life to look like in the future. Using their education and training skills, coaches guide students to create attainable goals and action steps. Additionally, coaches provide education and resources related to the areas of interest of the client, such as time-blocking worksheets and movement diaries. If coaches notice clients could benefit from additional campus support, they will also help make referrals to specific resources.

If students are interested in becoming coaches themselves, they can participate in an eight-week guided review course conducted by Thrivewell staff, including both digital learning and hands-on practical training. After the course is completed, hopeful coaches prepare to take the national certification exam, sponsored by the American College of Exercise (ACE®).

Certified NC State students are then eligible to apply for a wellness coaching position with Wellness and Recreation. If hired, student coaches are able to meet with clients who book coaching sessions, hold group coaching sessions, and create resources for client use. For instance, if a student would like to work on time management, their coach may share the “time-blocking worksheet” and help the client create their ideal schedule. Coaches are certified to coach in areas of health such as physical activity, nutrition, mindfulness, time management, and stress management. Student coaching serves as an amazing opportunity to gain hands-on experience, especially for students hoping to enter healthcare or wellness-related careers.

NC State wellness coaches often act as a compassionate guide for their peers, utilizing both their formal coaching education and their experiences as fellow students. One coaching client stated, “I did not know what to expect from wellness coaching, but I am so grateful that I decided to sign up for it. I have gained a lot from wellness coaching in terms of reaching my goals and figuring out how I can make better use of my rest time.” Another client related, “My coach made sure the goals made were achievable. Sometimes I think so big that I forget I need to start small. [My coach] was able to break things down for me and helped me make goals I knew I could complete.” From a wellness coach’s perspective, a former NC State coach said, “I wanted to be able to help my peers take the steps to living a healthier lifestyle and give them the tools to set and achieve goals. I think that students often forget to take care of themselves through the stress of school, and this position allows me to help encourage students to put themselves first and live a more holistic life.”

Note from the author:

As a NC State wellness coach myself, I have been able to positively impact the wellbeing of my peers, as well as gain applicable experience for my future career. Providing support and making students feel heard has made me a better person, both personally and professionally. Through coaching, I feel a deeper connection to the NC State community and my contribution within it. If you have questions about the program and/or my experience, feel free to reach out to me at lapalmer@ncsu.edu.