Dr Anne Collins McLaughlin
- Website: http://www.lacelab.org
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Anne McLaughlin received her Ph.D. in Psychology from the Georgia Intitute of Technology. She has been an Assistant Professor at NC State since 2007, directing the LACElab (Learning, Aging, and Cognitive Ergonomics) and co-directing the Gains Through Gaming Lab with Dr. Jason Allaire.
Teaching and Research Interests
- Motivation for cognitively complex activities
- Age-related changes in cognitive abilities
- Training to use technology
- Cognitive ergonomics
- Training for maintenence of cognitive ability
- Safety in multiple domains
Descriptions of projects may be found here.
Extension and Community Engagement
Pak, R., McLaughlin, A. C., Rovira, E., & High, L. (accepted). Self-driving vehicles as an aging intervention: Examining the effects of automation reliability, driving risk, and physical impairment on younger and older adults’ trust. Frontiers in Psychology.
Pak, R., Rovira, E., McLaughlin, A. C., & Leidheiser, W. (in press). Evaluating attitudes and experience with emerging technology in cadets and civilian undergraduates. Military Psychology.
McLaughlin, A. C. & McGill, A. E. (2017). Explicitly teaching critical thinking skills in a history course. Science & Education. doi: 10.1007/s11191-017-9878-2
Zhang, S., Grenhart, W., McLaughlin, A. C., Allaire, J. (2017). Predicting computer proficiency in older adults. Computers in Human Behavior, 67, 106-112.doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.chb.2016.11.006
Thomas, E. M., Binder, A. R., McLaughlin, A., Jaykus, L., Hanson, D., Powell, D., & Chapman, B. (2016). Assessment of risk communication about undercooked hamburgers by restaurant servers, Journal of Food Protection, 79(12), 2113–2118. doi:10.4315/0362-028X.JFP-16-065
Rovira, E., Pak, R., & McLaughlin, A. C. (2016). Effects of individual differences in working memory on performance and trust with various degrees of automation. Theoretical Issues in Ergonomic Science. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/1463922X.2016.1252806
McLaughlin, A. C., Ward, J., & Keene, B. W. (2016). Development of a veterinary surgical checklist: Supporting theory of mind in team members. Ergonomics in Design, 24(4), 27-34. doi:10.1177/1064804615621411
- B.A. in Psychology/English Literature from Trinity University, 1998
- M.S. in Engineering Psychology from Georgia Tech, 2003
- Ph.D. in Engineering Psychology from Georgia Tech, 2007
- PSY 420 - 001 – SyllabusCognitive Processes01:30 - 02:45 T H216 Poe Hall
- PSY 499 - 041Individual Study in PsychologyTBA
- PSY 541 - 001Overview of Human Factors Psychology10:15 - 11:30 T H736 Poe Hall